Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Meaning of a Song

Music of the Moment: In Your Atmosphere, John Mayer

Music is my main passion in life. It can consume you and transcend you to another moment or take you away from pain that you may feel. It can create a new dimension, or take you away for just a split second into some other moment in time. For some, it defines who they are and speaks to their every moment in life. With that said, I am one of those people. I realize there are people who are not this addicted to music, but I am 100% all about the music I love and bask in the glory that it creates. Music creates a mood, changes a mood, or explains a mood. I can listen to a song and be happy before hand, but turn into an emotional wreck after hearing some tunes. Then there are others that pick up my mood from gloomy to euphoric. Don't ask me what it is about this music, but Music is the food of life. It makes me feel less hungry for other things and it transforms me in ways that nothing else can. It's the drug I live on.

I'm listening and watching John Mayer's dvd from the album Where the Light Is: Live in Los Angeles. It's like a concert in my living room and I adore it. Even on my 12 inch iBook, it feels like he's performing just for me. Though this clearly isn't true, the music puts me in another moment and suddenly, everything is different. I'm not a fanatic, mind you. I have one framed album, the heavier things album on vinyl with a signed copy of the cd mounted on my wall, but that's beside the point. It's the music. The music that feeds my soul.

Perhaps I'm a firm believer in music therapy, which is obviously true, but everyone has one album, one song, one artist, one...something...that keeps them going. Something that makes them get up and out of bed today. Something that feeds their soul.

Carrie Bradshaw had fashion. I have music.

No comments: