Monday, November 17, 2008

Labels or Love: My Latest Obsessions

Right now I'm obsessing over the song by T-Pain called "Can't believe it." Personally, I can't believe it myself. But, for some reason, the beat sort of gets me and it's an "easing" song, if that makes sense. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that they say "I could put you up in a mansion in Wisconsin," but I'm going to let that slide for now. Music is always about a feeling, whatever the music does to you or does for you. If rap makes you slow down and take a minute to reflect, that's fine with me. If country makes you feel at home, that's fine. I maintain that the only way to know you love a certain type of music over another is that it puts you in a great mood or it perfectly fits your mood.

New topic. Everyone knows I'm obsessed with fashion. I love reading a great issue of Vogue and I get REALLY excited for the huge fall issue. I love the magazine In Style as well and you'll frequently see me looking through the tabloids at the check-out line, mostly to see the fashion. I do, for some reason, find it interesting when celebrities are pregnant, sleeping around with a new someone, or stepped out with their hair designer for dinner, but mostly, it's all about the fashion. I want to know who wore what boots with what outfit or who wore what to the Emmy's/Movie Awards/Oscars/etc. With that said, I'm starting to compile a list of my most envied star's looks. Right now, I'm obsessing over Rachel Bilson, Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen. I'm always interested in Reese Witherspoon, Carrie Underwood, Lauren Conrad, and Kate Beckinsale. Fall Fashion though, has me obsessing over thigh high boots. Flats, Heels, Platforms, I don't much care. As long as they're constructed well and placed with the right outfit, I'm loving them. Which I guess is why I feel like I'm constantly looking for a new pair. My overall favorite designers: BCBG MAXAZRIA, Herve Leger (obviously!), Chanel, Dior, Oscar de La Renta, Vera Wang, and the list goes on. This installment, I'll give you my five picks for most important items to own for fall:
1. Dark Plum nail polish-it's cheap, an easy fix, and a must have.
2. Riding Boots-Black or brown, it doesn't matter. They're comfortable and classic.
3. One bold colored Dress, Bag, or Shoe: preferably a jewel tone, but variants also work.
4. One great suit that you can split up: (Hint: Be inspired by Classic Men's fashion.)
5. Thick Black Belt to be worn around the waist-Pick something Classic, but fun. (I own one in an alligator print)

Now, I know not everyone has oodles of money to spend on fashion, and nor do I, so the best way to think about fall fashion is to be classic. Go with items that have a classic shape, or that can go with multiple outfits, perhaps on through spring. I always love plum nail polish because it's like black, but isn't black and it's more fun than a dark red or burgandy. My best advice is to be creative and have your own style. My fashion icons use items in interesting ways, and I guess that's why I love them so much. Labels aren't about having fashion, fashion is about what comes through on the outside and by mixing high and low. Have fun!

1 comment:

Heather said...

You are too cute! My fashion expert friend...I wish I had money so you could help me dress not like a mom! :) Good luck on the interview- knock'em dead!
no password on my blog now-- I will email it to you right now so you can check it out.