Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Eclectic Musically

Lately, for some reason, I've been listening to a lot of HipHop/R&B. Usually, I find myself less compelled to find this type of music interesting. But, as always, I am constantly evolving into something new and trying different things. I've found that some of this music I find offensive like "Crank that Soulja Boy" by Soulja Boy, now others, I'm completely taken with, including every song I've heard from John Legend and all the way through some T.I. The background to Ludacris' new song "One More Drink" has some interesting music from a simple piano sound, to the beats that are usually included in this type of music. Though some of the lyrics bother me, I tend to focus on talent alone and while I may not necessarily agree with their message, I believe that music is not always about what's being conveyed, but about the way it makes you feel. This particular Ludacris song seems to relax me in a way that usually comes from only certain types of music, and usually not R&B. I'm excited to listen to new songs and to venture back to some types of music that I've been neglecting, like the Rock that I used to listen to some time ago, mostly when I started this blog.

This entire experience of being in an entirely new environment, namely the South, is turning out to be more interesting than I thought it would be. I'm constantly having to bite my tongue based on the way that I was raised compared to the way people are raised here. I'm definitely in the minority of people in my area that have college degrees (especially from a Big Ten!), from people who grew up having supportive parents, from people who grew up being attached to literature...
Mostly, it angers me the difference in political decisions and not because I'm upset that people do not agree with my candidate of choice, but mostly because people seem to be unaccepting of other's opinions. I'll leave my thoughts there.

Enough for this evening...as always, I'll post more in the near future.

No comments: