Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Change

Before, I never would have said that change is a good thing, but I'm learning more and more that what was in the past does not have to be in my future and sometimes, things need to move forward and not look back.

It's certainly hard not to look back at all of the experiences that I've had and nnot think that they have formed who I am today, but for whatever reason, today I'm making the pact that I'll keep things in the present and future and not in the past. I'm not going to dwell on my past and think that things could have changed, or that I could have done something better or something different, because that's no way to live my life. I need to keep things in order and keep them at hand rather than pulling them from behind.

No matter what changes in life, it's probably better to deal with the tasks at hand rather than think of things past and keep bringing the past into the present. Some of the best poets would definately tell me this, and while I'm a lover of poetry over most other things, I should really be following their advice as so often I've seen it in print. (thank you, romantics!)

So here's my pull from the past, keeping it into the future...and from now on. (Eventhough this blog isn't supposed to be about me, sometimes my experiences are the experiences that end up in here rather than something that happened today with other people or that I saw happen amongst others that moved me...)

Everyone who knows me well knows how much I hate flowers. And it's not because I don't think that they're pretty or because I don't appreciate them. I do, truly, I do appreciate them. It's just that in the past, whenever I have received them, it's been for a birthday or because something went wrong and so the flowers were supposed to mean "I'm sorry." I don't believe in flowers for saying "I'm sorry" because flowers should be a loving symbol. Flowers to commemorate an event should really be used for weddings, funerals, job promotions, baptisms, etc. rather than to commemorate a birthday. Birthdays are something entirely different that don't fit into that event because birthdays happen yearly. Weddings, Funerals, Baptisms...only happen once (except perhaps weddings, but they're meant to only happen once...). Birthdays are an annual event...figure out how to buy someone a gift for crying out loud! Maybe that's a bit harsh of me, but that's how I feel about flowers in a general sense.

Now, here comes the rough part. I love flowers just because. And I especially love when someone thinks, "Well, she doesnt' like flowers, but what about a flower? That isn't flowers!" I'm totally ok with that and actually think it's really sweet. And flowers for the first time from someone. I love that feeling. I also love non-traditional flowers. Everyone sends roses. Carnations are incredibly over-done. Lilys, Tulips, Dasies, orchids, etc. Those are the flowers that say that you put a little bit more time into thinking about it. They're the ones that matter. When you do something eccentric, it shows that you put the time into it and that you weren't just trying to do something easy. And if you're going to buy flowers, picking them up from the gas station probably isn't the message you want to send to whomever is to receive the flowers. Put the adequate amount of time into it, don't pick them up as an after-thought.

Clearly, I've spent too much time thinking about the importance of flowers, but in some cases it's cute. I once knew a girl that received one single red rose every time her boyfriend would take her out on a date. Needless to say, she had lots of dried roses in her room and I thought it was spectacular. Once upon a time, I really loved flowers, but because I feel like experiences can definately shape the way that you are, I've become insensitive to them, and quite frankly, that's something I need to change.

Flowers aren't simply always what we expect them to be. When they come from the right person, none of that bullshit matters anymore and I still get giddy about the flowers...and take pictures of them when I can't take them home with me. <3

Enough for now...

No comments: