Saturday, January 28, 2006

Cutesy

It really surprises me how many people are unhappy in their marriages, yet do nothing about it. Some of my co-workers are married and yet, as happy as they seem and as lived as their life is, they still seem unhappy in their marriages. Yet, they do nothing about it. One of them is separated, and completely fine with it. The other, married, to a man whom she says does nothing around the house and just sits around all day. This, she despises. Maybe it's just easier to stay together? I don't want my life to turn out that way, where it's just easier to be together than to split because of costs, emotions, etc.

Relationships, it would seem, are almost flawed from the beginning. One of my other co-workers has been dating a guy on and off for years and she finally wants to break up with him for good. Yet, she doesn't know how. She loves him. He loves her. They're best friends. But, she wants nothing to do with that anymore. Co-worker #2's response? "Just tell him you're in love with someone else." Co-worker #3's response? "Just get married, it sounds like you fight like you already are."

Is that what we're bound to in life? Unhappiness and inadequate relationships? Are all of the cute things about relationships only a facade? My parents have been happily married for years and get mad at each other like any normal couple, but what keeps them together that doesn't keep a lot of people together? And if these factors aren't bad enough, Are we bound to cheat in relationships? I've cheated. A lot of people have. I don't see anything wrong with what I've done, per say, and I don't think that I should be punished for what I have done in the past. The past is the past and the present is now.
I don't regret the things I've done because that's not the way I believe life should work. Everything happens for a reason. A series of bad events are going to happen in your life, but that's not to say that we should regret the things that caused them. If you regret something, you're looking back on the past and wishing it had been differently. But, what I don't understand is if you want to take something back, you must have thought it was right at the moment that the event took place. Even our irrational thoughts are things that, at that moment, we believed to be "right" or "correct." You can't go back and change the things that happened, so why do we dwell upon it? "I regret that decision." Well, you very well may, but you can't go back and change it.

No comments: