Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Growing Up...(Read: Growth Rant)

Sometimes I feel like I'm getting old. Maybe experienced beyond my years is a better way to put it...yes, I'll roll with it. Technically, I'm a young person. No one ever thinks I'm in my early 20's. Almost everyone thinks I'm over 25. Usually, I take this as a good thing since I don't really look like I'm over 25, but I act like it. I've had a lot of growing up to do in my childhood, a lot of life experiences that have weathered me, so to say.

Today, I went out for a business lunch with some co-workers, which wasn't technically a working lunch, but it wasn't exactly "off the clock." With that said, there is a certain business etiquette that goes along with interacting with your co-workers-in any atmosphere. There are certain things that your co-workers don't need to know about you, your background, or about your social life. I don't need to know, and your boss certainly doesn't want to hear about the crazy weekend you had getting drunk with your friends, or even how you saw a really embarrassingly drunk person at a NASCAR race last weekend. Talking about your, or your friends, or even people you don't know that are drinking or drunk is NOT an appropriate work discussion-in the office or over lunch.

With that said, there is certain table etiquette that should be followed under all circumstances, almost completely without exception. (Obviously, there are certain exceptions that apply to these rules.) My biggest pet peeve of which is when people start to discuss things that may keep others from enjoying their meal. Specifically, it is inappropriate to discuss "smelly" things at the eating table. Sorry, but a discussion of how you used to clean cow barns or horse stalls is not exactly my idea of appetizing. This is certainly not something to brag about. Discussion of this topic should be used in appropriate situations only, and certainly NEVER over a meal.

I'm not sure why people my own age don't understand these simple concepts. When someone complements your shirt, you do not instantly say, "Thank you, it is from Store X!" It isn't necessary to tell someone that information, and I think it's rude. If someone comments and keeps discussing it, then sure, you could mention it given the right situation, but in conversation with someone you have never met before, or with someone who is just passing by, this is NOT necessary. (This is a SERIOUS pet peeve of mine.) For one thing, if it's really expensive (Or Brand Name), it looks like you're showing off because you have the money to be able to afford it. On the other hand, if you bought it at a cheaper store, even if readily available, it looks as if you are trying to "one up" someone by saying you found a better deal than they did, or that your tastes are better since you picked it out at a discount store. Not everyone needs to know that your top is from a name brand store! I would think that if you are in a business setting, even if on a business lunch, that people would find this sort of behavior inappropriate. I guess I give people too much credit sometimes.

Maybe I feel like I'm getting old because I sometimes feel like I'm around teenagers instead of young adults in their 20's, but there are certain things everyone should know in order to function in society-especially in a business setting. Act accordingly.

No comments: